Meatloaf is not only the ultimate comfort food but it is also very well suited for those with FM. I love doubling this recipe so that I have plenty of LO’s to use later in the week.
- 2 TBL milk
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, without HFCS
- 1 lb ground beef (80-85% lean)
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, shredded
- 2 lg eggs
- 2-3 oz pancetta, thinly sliced & chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir breadcrumbs and milk together in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup ketchup (without HFCS)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- If tolerated, tomato paste and tomato sauce
Spray bottom and sides of pie plate or pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put beef mixture into the plate or pan and spread evenly. Mix topping ingredients and spread evenly on top of beef mixture. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Let meatloaf rest 5 minutes prior to serving.
- I like having a tomato sauce type topping on my meatloaf. I have found that I am able to add an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and 2 TBL of tomato paste to the sauce without any ill effects.
- I usually use lactose-free milk for this meatloaf but if I am out, I will use unsweetened almond milk. It does not alter the taste of the meatloaf so it makes a great substitute. You could also use light whipping cream or regular milk.
- Double this recipe so you have plenty of LO’s for lunch the next day or dinner the next night.
Way’s to use the LO’s:
- Meatloaf sandwiches
- LO meatloaf, green beans and mashed potatoes
- Spaghetti and meat sauce – Combine jarred marinara sauce and crumbled LO meatloaf, heat well. Serve with pasta.